Online Student Code of Conduct Agreement
You will regularly engage in discussions and collaborative group work with your peers. To maintain a safe space online, we need to agree to uphold specific behaviors to ensure our online space stays respectful and supportive. I,_____________________________________, agree to:
• Actively engage in the conversations taking place online.
• Read and think deeply about my peers’ ideas, questions, suggestions, and comments.
• Address my classmates by name when responding to their ideas.
• Maintain an appropriate tone and stay on topic.
• Respectfully disagree with ideas. I will not criticize my peers because their ideas are different from or contrary to my own.
• Be open-minded. I believe I can learn from the diversity of perspectives in this class.
• Attempt to think “outside of the box” to present new ideas and perspectives.
• Respect the privacy of my peers. I will not republish (i.e., cut and paste content from our discussions to other social networking forums) or discuss conversations that take place in our class portal.
• Support my classmates in their learning process. I will not tease or make fun of my peers or their ideas.
• Encourage discussion by asking interesting, thought-provoking questions.
• Seek help from my peers and/or teacher if I have concerns or questions.
• Only attach information and media that is appropriate to the educational setting.
• Submit work that is reflective of my intellect. I will follow the appropriate conventions of English (i.e., spelling, grammar, sentence structure, word choice, etc.) to ensure that my postings clearly communicate my ideas.
My signature verifies that I have read, understand, and agree to comply with the above code of conduct. I understand that I must play an active role in establishing and maintaining a safe online space to ensure that all students feel comfortable actively participating. If I violate any of the above expectations for my conduct in our online portal, I am aware that I will be held accountable for jeopardizing our safe space online.
Student Signature ___________________________________________________
Parent Signature ____________________________________________________
Source: Democrasoft, http://www.democrasoft.com Retrieved from the companion website for Blended Learning in Grades 4–12: Leveraging the Power of Technology to Create StudentCentered Classrooms by Catlin R. Tucker. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.