Ms. Ostrander's DMS Physical Education Webpage
Contact email address: lisa.Ostrander@doverschools.org
LOOKING FORWARD FOR OUR 2017 VOLLEYBALL TEAM!
ALL PE GRADES 6-8 ARE IN THEIR FITNESS UNIT
CLICK ON THE RETHINK YOUR DRINK LINK BELOW
Breakfast fills your “empty tank” to get you going after a long night without food.
Easy-to-prepare breakfasts include:
- cold cereal with fruit and milk
- toast with peanut butter
- yogurt with fruit
- waffles or even last night’s pizza!
- Walk, bike or jog to see friends.
- Take a 10-minute activity break every hour while you read, do homework or watch TV.
- Climb stairs instead of taking an escalator or elevator.
- Choose snacks from different food groups- a glass of milk and a few graham crackers
- an apple or celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins, or some dry cereal.
- Start with a warm-up that stretches your muscles.
- Include 30 minutes of activity daily, such as running, jogging, or dancing.
- Follow up with activities that help make you stronger, such as push-ups or lifting weights.
- Then cool down with more stretching and deep breathing.
You don’t have to give up foods like hamburgers, French fries and ice cream to eat healthy.
You just have to be smart about how often and how much of them you eat.
- Balancing food choices from the Food Guide Pyramid will help you get all the nutrients you need.
- Being active is more fun with friends or family.
- Encourage others to join you and plan one special physical activity event, like a bike ride or hiking, with a group each week.
- Try breads such as whole-wheat, bagels and pita. Spaghetti and oatmeal are also in the grain group.
- Bananas, strawberries and melons are some great tasting fruits.
- Try vegetables raw, on a sandwich or a salad.
A physical education class & structured sports are a sure way to:
feel good ,look good, and stay physically fit.
- A healthy eating style is like a puzzle with many parts. Each part – or food – is different.
- Some foods have more fat, sugar, or salt, while others may have more vitamins or fiber.
- And don’t forget about moderation. If two pieces of pizza fill you up, you don’t need a third.
- Do activities you and your friends enjoy doing together, and eat the food you like.
Be adventurous – try new sports, games and other activities as well as some new foods.
PE FUN SITES